Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Elephant in the Blog

Why there won't ever be a review of Vallejo's Discovery Kingdom here.

Despite the fact that I live in Vallejo, and am a well-known animal fan, I won't be reviewing Discovery Kingdom in this blog. Since it seems a natural fit here, I thought I'd just post a quick explanation (although maybe no one cares or would have noticed the omission.)

I worked at Discovery Kingdom, then known as Marine World Africa USA, many years ago. I was there when Six Flags took the park over. I survived the transition, but everything I loved about Marine World didn't.

We used to be a non-profit, and had endangered animal breeding programs, dolphin communication research, and a lot of other wonderful programs. But we were going bankrupt. Six Flag came in with money to keep the park going, but took away a lot of what, in my opinion, made Marine World special. I guess it just bothers me that it wasn't good enough as a wildlife park, it had to be turned into an amusement park, with all the rides and flash that go with it in order to survive.

A lot of other behind the scenes changes happened that I won't bore you with, but it was enough that I decided to move on. I've been back to Discovery Kingdom recently; my family talked me into taking our kids there, but I just can't write an objective review. I can't see it only for what it is today because my view will always be colored by what it used to be. What it used to be to me.

No comments: